Wedding Programs

ImageSetting: Beautiful September in the mountains

Characters: My best friend and kindred spirit, Anna, now married to a great guy named Erik

Plot: My best friend was planning herself a wedding. Small problem: It’s hard to find ways to help with wedding errands when you live 1500 miles away. I wanted to help however I could, however, so making the programs seemed like a logical thing to do. I used Adobe Illustrator, along with some free resources like, to put together the design. Anna and I picked out some coordinating card stock, fabric, and thread. Then I sewed the whole thing together using a zig zag stitch on my sewing machine. Sewing paper is a lot of fun, and you don’t have to worry about it bunching the way that fabric does. Super easy.

I like this project because its a good mix of my love for graphic design and love for crafting things together.

Snapshot 2013-12-05 02-16-54



Farmhouse Table



Setting: The Berger’s Shop

Characters: Chris, my other talented roommate

Plot: Remember? Just moved, no furniture? No dining room table, either. I had been pinteresting and blog hunting (always dangerous) and it seemed to me that it would be easy enough to just build one. Problem. I have pretty limited wood working skills. SO I enlisted Chris’s help. We decided on using a plan from Ana White’s blog. (She’s a stay at home mom that builds furniture in Alaska. Role model.) Then we spent like 45 minutes in the lumber aisle of Home Depot picking out wood with the coolest grain.

Chris in the shop

Chris in the shop

We brought our supplies back to the shop, got to work, and had a table in an hour and a half. The most time consuming part came later: painting, staining, and polyurethane. I thought white for the apron would be pretty “farmhouse”, and we stained the top to match our awesome wood ceilings. I love it. The whole thing probably cost $80 or less – paint and all. Can’t really beat that for a beautiful farmhouse table. One step closer to my hippie farm commune dreams.

Painting and such.

Painting and such.

The finished product. Chairs were $6 each from the thrift store and just needed a coat of paint. Still on the hunt for some more!

The finished product. Chairs were $6 each from the thrift store and just needed a coat of paint. Still on the hunt for some more!


Refurbished Chest

Yes. Roxie and I are still alive. After a busy year of student teaching, summer camps, and life just gettin’ busy, we are happy to get back to our poor neglected blog! Enjoy!

Setting: The Shop

Characters: My dear friend and roommate, Sophia Montiel

Plot: My exciting news is that I recently made the move to Durango! I’m renting a great place with a couple friends – it has lots of space and potential. Unfortunately, I own like 0 pieces of furniture. (I DO have a bed. Most important piece of furniture to own). This fact, coupled with my love for all things DIY, is what motivated me start on some good ole furniture refurbishing.

Purchased at a Pagosa estate sale, this chest (?, vanity? dresser?) was originally meant to be used as a bathroom vanity. It had a few holes in the top from the sink & plumbing. I was able to cut some thin plywood with a jig saw – kind of following the curves of the dresser. I removed two of the drawers, I wanted to use that space as shelves instead. Next came the sanding. So much sanding. I deem it free therapy.  Add some paint (and a helpful roommate ), a few distressing techniques, and some chicken wire (my favorite part) and tada! Instant mail/catch all/ entryway table. I think the hardware made the biggest difference.


What it use to look like:


After some TLC:


Reclaimed Wood Wall Art


, , ,

Setting: The Belmont – wintertime in the mountains

Characters: Dylan whom I was chatting to while creating this piece, and May Erlewine my favorite mitten state folk artist

Plot: There have been lots of construction projects around camp these days, and I like to collect some of the scraps. So, I had some mix matched tongue and groove to work with. I pieced it together, and screwed a white washed picture frame over the top. Then I was inspired by the trees in my backyard and went to town. Its not Monet, but I had a blast painting the scene.



Graduation Caps


, , , ,



End of one chapter, beginning of another


Glitter and my ISCI gals


I finished my student teaching earlier than the rest of my teachery friends, so I volunteered to bling all of our caps for the graduation ceremony.  This task required glue, a paint brush, and some gold, silver, and black glitter.  To make the flower pattern, I painted one petal at a time with the glue, then sprinkled glitter on (to save time, I could paint more than one petal at a time as long as they were going to be the same glitter color).  I wanted each of our caps to be similar, but not completely the same.  So the flower shape stayed the same, but the petal colors are unique to each cap.